Wednesday, October 13, 2010

We Have A Plan!

Talked to my sister last night.  She is game for all the crazy ideas on the bucket list as well.  First goal?  Ironman!  This will be a two-year training commitment.  We are looking at doing a half-ironman distance tri next summer and I think we're aiming for Coeur d'Alene in 2012.  Of course Kona would be the ideal but with three of us trying to get into the same race (her friend Caroline has also joined the craziness), we're being realistic and thinking Idaho is the place to go.  Even then, we're all going to have to camp out by our computers when registration opens.  Registration for most Ironman events closes within hours. 

I had a great treadmill run last night while Liam was napping.  After a slow warm-up mile I felt pretty good and decided to do a tempo run to push my pace a little.  My tempo mile was 9:18!  I know this seems slow, but I haven't been able to run that fast since I was 25 pounds lighter than I am now.  If I can shed some of this weight in the course of my training, I should be able to increase my pace even more.  This is a small victory, but very encouraging to me, nonetheless.  (Especially considering I just started running regularly last week.)

My biggest battle is going to be swimming.  There are three pools within 30 miles all with varying levels of coaching (from none to a master's swim club) and varying times for lap swim.  Once I'm done at the greenhouse I'll be able to swim in Worthington in the late morning.  This would work the best for me since I'm not a morning person and the best for Dave because he will probably be awake by then to take care of Liam.  The two closer pools only have lap swim in the wee hours of the morning but are significantly closer and cheaper.  I'm going to try to go to Mountain Lake twice next week and see how that works out for all of us.  This means I have to wake up at 5:30.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment