Saturday, July 2, 2011

To Race Or Not To Race, That Is The Question...

My first 70.3 is coming up in three weeks and everything seems to be working against me.  I have yet to make a final decision, but I am leaning toward not racing due to several issues.

1.  My bike may be broken.   Actually, I know the fork is broken, but the frame may be compromised as well.  While we were on vacation (we just got home today), my husband tried to pull into his cousin's garage with my bike still on the top.  I need to send it to Trek to have the frame checked and I'm not sure it will be back in time for the race.  If I rented a bike, race day would be the first time I rode it since I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest place to rent a road bike is 2.5 hours away.

2.  I am 10 days into a chest cold that is showing no signs of letting up.  Between the cold and taking several days off after my marathon, I haven't done ANY training in two weeks and I don't know when I'll be able to get any quality training done.

3.  I am not trained as well as I should be.  The few weeks before the marathon, life got  in the way and my training suffered.  So, in addition to not training at all for the past two weeks, I didn't train as much as I should have in the three weeks prior to that.

4.  My sister, who was supposed to race with me, is not going to race.  This isn't a huge factor, but is definitely disappointing.

This would only be my second triathlon EVER.  I very much want to do a long-distance tri, but don't want it to be a miserable experience.  Part of me says, I've paid the money, I've got some base, it may not be fun but I could probably finish.  Besides, I hate to think that I chickened out.  The other part looks at the reasons I listed and thinks that I may be smarter to either find a 70.3 to race later in the year or maybe even postpone my 70.3 debut until next year.

Decisions, decisions...

(I will post my Grandma's Marathon race report soon.  We just got home from vacation tonight and my bed is calling!)

No comments:

Post a Comment