Friday, December 30, 2011

My 2011 Report Card

I was looking back at last year's goals today wondering how I did. Here's a report on my 2011 goal list found in this post: 11 Things For 2011

1.  Complete my third marathon (Grandma's Marathon, Duluth, MN, June 2011) DONE!
2.  Break 5 hours in the marathon.  If I don't accomplish this at Grandma's, I'll be looking to run my fourth marathon in the fall.  DONE!
3.  Complete my first triathlon (I'm aiming for Albert Lea in May if the logistics work out, otherwise I'll have to do more investigating to find a tri to practice for my next goal.) DONE!
4. Complete a half-iron distance triathlon. (Chisago Lakes, July 2011) DONE!
5.  Run 1000 miles. (This is a little bit lofty, but attainable if I work hard towards the next goal.)  Not even close...
6.  Follow my training plan (with reasonable exceptions for illness or injury.  I am also allowing myself one "I don't feel like training today" day per month.  These can be banked if not used, but cannot use more than two per month.) I give myself a 'C' on this one. I did good up until my half-iron. After that things fell apart due to an extremely hard recovery and some illness. 
7.  Read one book per month.  This may not sound like a lot, but with all the other things I have going on, getting time to read can be a challenge. 12 books were completed long before December. I quit counting after that. 
8.  Follow a cleaning schedule.  I found one online and modified it to fit our house and needs. Need to do better at this. I have customized one that works pretty well for me, when I follow it. I have found that I need a daily checklist if I'm going to get my chores done. 
9.  Reduce the amount of stuff in our house by donating clothing and other things we no longer use.  I've already got a good start on this.  The in-laws took four bags of clothes for Goodwill last time they were here. We have taken a lot more clothes to Goodwill, given away a whole bunch of baby stuff, and packed up some more for my mom's garage sale next spring. We can still do better, but I call this one a success. 
10.  Learn how to use a pressure-canner.  I've done this with my mom before but have never been confident enough to do it myself.  I'd really like to can my own beans - much cheaper than store-bought and no BPA-lined cans! Not even attempted. Canning is a pain with a toddler that wants to help with everything. 
11.  Go camping at least once per month from May-September.  This may mean putting up the tent in the yard a couple times, but I'd really like Liam to get used to camping early.  Weather forced the last-minute cancellation of a couple of our trips, but we did get a few long weekends in. Liam is a great camper and loves the tent. 

I can hardly believe it's already time to set goals for 2012!  (What do you mean it's December 30th?  It's 36 degrees out, tomorrow is supposed to be 45 and sunny!) I'll be away for a few days, celebrating the New Year with two different sets of very good friends. When I return, I hope to have a whole new set of goals for 2012!  

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I also love this idea of setting goals for the new year and actually posting them! I hope you dont mind, but I'm going to steal this for my next blog post in January. Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I don't mind, I'm pretty sure I stole it from someone else last year. I look forward to seeing your 2012 goals!

    ReplyDelete