Thursday, May 5, 2011

My First Tri Is Only 17 Days Away...

...and, holy cow, am I nervous!  It isn't even the biggie goal race that I'm training for.  It's just a race I'm doing for practice.  I keep telling myself that it's only part of my training, but I am not reassured.  I think about it all the time.  How cold will the water be?  Will it be warm enough to do an open water swim prior to race day?  What do I need to bring with me?  What things should I not bring with me?  Am I ever going to get outside on my bike?  I surf the internet constantly, reading everything I can to better prepare myself.    I even DREAM about triathlon at night!

Part of the nervousness is that I don't like new situations.  I hate to be the person that looks like she doesn't know what she's doing.  This is one of the few occasions I wish I lived in a bigger town.  I don't know a single other person in my small town that does triathlons.  A buddy to tag along with would be wonderfully comforting. 

But, I am 35 years old, I should just pull up my big girl panties and get over it.  I will probably not be the only newbie there.  Things will go wrong.  If not for me, then for someone else.  Many of the things that can go wrong, I cannot control. 

When I get nervous, I do positive visualization.  I try to think of my perfect day starting with rolling out of my sleeping bag (yep, we're camping) and making coffee on a beautiful sunny morning.  I try to visualize each leg of the race and smooth transitions.  And of course, how great I'll feel when it's all over and I can say that I am a triathlete!


What's your best tip for a new triathlete?

No comments:

Post a Comment