Monday, February 20, 2012

The AM workout experiment...

 So I had this wonderful idea...
Go to bed when Liam does and get up earlier than he does so I can get my workout in.  Perfect for days when either the weather or Liam's nap schedule aren't cooperating, right?
Oh wait, I'm not a morning person...crap.
I decided to try it anyway.  Tuesday was Day One of the experiment. I laid out my clothes, set the coffeemaker to auto, set my alarm, and went to bed at 8:30pm.
I couldn't get to sleep.  When I finally did, Liam woke up crying (for no apparent reason, I put him back  to bed and he was fine). Then I couldn't get back to sleep.
I woke up to the alarm and NO COFFEE.  (I think I'd better find the directions.)
I got up anyway. I was impressed by myself here, usually I would have just shut off the alarm and gone back to sleep.
I forgot to lay out my headphones so I dug around for those, got dressed and made my way downstairs.  Most importantly, I did this quietly enough to not wake the monkey!
I trudged through my prescribed 5 miles for the day, slower and more painful than they would have been later in the day.
I got it done.

This was the best smile I could muster the first day with no coffee. 
Slightly more awake after 5 miles on the 'mill.

Tuesday evening was host to my second ever masters swim class (LOVE this class!). And since I was out playing  swimming, I had to stay up long enough to wash diapers, giving me a bedtime of around 10:45pm.
And no coffee ready for the morning.  GAH!  Why do I do this to myself?  I forgot to grind coffee before Liam went to bed!
And I didn't get up on Wednesday morning.  I woke up with a pretty good tension headache, turned off the alarm and went back to sleep.  I still had the headache at 7:30 when Liam woke up, but with a heat pack and some tennis-ball rolling, it went away.  Wednesday's workout was done during L's nap.
Wednesday night I remembered to grind the coffee, found the directions and set the machine properly, and went to bed early.
My alarm went off at 5am and I heard the sweet sound of success coming from the kitchen... my coffee was brewing!  So of course I popped out of bed, okay more like rolled slowly, and got myself a cup.
Wasn't it Meatloaf that sang "two outta three ain't bad"?

MUCH more awake with coffee.  Much less scary-looking, too!
I spent the prescribed 60 minutes on the trainer and then walked on the treadmill for another 30+ minutes while I finished the movie I was watching.

Halfway done!
Well, that was all for the first week.  Dave being home on the weekends means I don't have to get up so early.  I'm ready to give a go again this week, especially now that the coffeemaker is working!
And now I have Meatloaf songs stuck in my head...